I've never really been one for New Year's Resolutions but this year I think it's important for me to reflect on how I've got to where I am today and set some goals for the year ahead. Sorry for the slightly bragadocious start, but it was really rewarding to write down some of my best bits from 2015 and I encourage you to do the same! Hopefully you'll learn some more about me from reading but if you're just after the resolutions, scroll down the page :)
IN 2015 I:
- Skied with my family for the first time ever in France, sipped Sangria in Lisbon with my girls, celebrated a surprise 30th in Budapest, ate pastries bigger than my face in Gothenburg.
- Celebrated 11 years with KP by going to see the dinosaurs at the NHM, drinking mulled wine and stuffing our faces at our fave Indian restaurant.
- Went to my friend Emma's wedding (oh my god how are we old enough for that?!).
- Had a blast at the Lucky Dip Club packing parties with Kim and a bunch of other lovely ladies (and Glenn!) and discovered the wonder that is Vicky's Donuts! The meet up in November was a huge highlight as I got to meet so many inspiring ladies.
- Learnt a lot working at trade shows and craft fairs with Alice Tams of Birds in Hats whilst chatting about our love of The Office and Adam & Joe.
- Said goodbye to the vintage clothing company I ran with my friends with a big closing down sale at Brixton Retro and Vintage Market.
- Spent whole days making booze-infused ice creams and sorbets with Drunken Dairy and had fun selling it at festivals around London.
- Gained more confidence doing presentations for Phosphor (the illustration agency I work for) and started helping another agency, Artist Partners.
- Set up this website with the help of my brother, Thom.
- Hit 1000 instagram followers on instagram and made friends with lots of like-minded creatives.
- Climbed hills with my Mum in Scotland and spotted a family of deer on a walk.
- Saw a deer up close with my Dad at his new home in Somerset and stayed up til 4am talking rubbish and listening to music.
- Discovered the joy of Motherflipper's burgers and made a burger cake for KP as a homage.
- Got asked to work on some wedding stationery which I'm looking forward to completing in 2016!
In 2016 I want to:
- Improve on this blog: When I launched my website I set a goal to post twice a week, with at least one post being a DIY tutorial. Eventually I became burnt out and began posting things I wasn't 100% happy with and then stopped posting at all. I'm a big believer in quality over quantity and so this year I'm going to be posting less frequently but with more of an emphasis on quality and sharing things with you that I can feel proud of and that I think you'll really want to read about. Please let me know if you have any DIY or post requests, I'd love to hear them and it's really helpful for me to hear the kind of things you're interested in.
- Schedule my time better and give myself proper days off: Because I'm freelance and work for so many different people; sometimes my head is in 3 places at once. This year I need to schedule my time more productively, keep focused and make sure I give myself at least 1 proper day off a week.
- See my family more: My Mum and Grandmother (Tobygran) live in Scotland and my Dad moved to Somerset this year. My Aunty, her husband and my cousins just moved back from Australia (where she'd lived for 25 years!) recently too so my family is really spread out all over the place and it's not always easy to see each other. This year I really want to make more of an effort to spend time with them, and I want to start working on another book project with Tobygran too!
- Make Girl Planet something really special: I was honoured when Leona of Lucky Dip Club asked me if I'd like to be the editor of their new magazine Girl Planet and I'm so excited to launch it this month in the Donut Dinerette boxes. I'm determined to make the magazine really great and I'm so looking forward to chatting to more inspiring and creative gals around the globe.
- Read more: I just bought 4 new books so that's a start!
- Stop being a scaredy cat and sell something: Last year I came up with a few different ideas and designs for things I'd like to make and sell and even started producing a set of illustrations to have printed, but as usual, somewhere along the line I lost confidence and never went through with it. In 2016 I must gain more confidence, stop being scared, stop comparing myself to others and actually produce something to sell.
- Walk more: Lots of opportunity to that when visiting my family and in my days off!
- Move: Right now I live with my boyfriend and his Mum which isn't really ideal for any of us (except George the dog!) and in 2016 I'd really like to move. Because I work from home a lot I really need my own dedicated work space and I have soooo much stuff. A clear out is definitely on the cards in 2016 too!
I think 2016 is going to be a good year... and not just because I'm starting off with a trip to Copenhagen this weekend for my birthday. Yippee!!
Happy New Year!